Don’t believe that Social Web sites are all the rage these days? Check out these statistics from Morgan Stanley’s recent Internet Trends Report:
- YouTube + Facebook page views > Google or Yahoo page views (and may be bigger than both combined)
- 6/10 top internet sites are social (youtube, live.com, facebook, hi5, wikipedia, orkut); none were on the list in 2005
- YouTube has 258 million users, 50% visit weekly or more
- >50% of Facebook users log in daily, 95% of Facebook users have used at least one third party application
- 14 million photos uploaded daily on Facebook
Now for our customers (or potential customers) wanting to take advantage of this trend: Just because Social Web sites are super hot, it doesn’t mean you can succeed by just copying them. You have to find a unique way to differentiate and stand out. If you can find the right niche opportunity inside of the overall trend, then you have a real chance for success. Otherwise, your Web site will get lost amongst a sea of poorly implemented copy cats.